ANIMAL WEALTH SCHEME FOR EMPLOYMENT OPPURTUNITIES TO SCHEDULED CASTES BY ESTABLISHING lIVESTOCK UNITS
Animal Wealth Scheme for Employment Opportunities to Scheduled Castes by establishing livestock units as a new plan scheme was proposed to be implemented in the State starting from the year 2008-09 and will continue through out the 11th Five Year Plan. The scheme in principle stands approved by the Govt. and the detail of the scheme is as under:-
Haryana state has a vast potential of self employment generation in the sector of Animal Husbandry & Dairying. Establishment of dairy, sheep, piggery, goat units can generate substantial employment (Direct or Indirect). Normally, one person gains full time employment by keeping 2-3 milch animals. Similarly, for unit of 5 and more animals the other members of the family also gain employment. The State is having a well developed infrastructure of veteri8nary institutions catering to the needs of the livestock owners providing veterinary services round-the-clock at their doorsteps. The strategic location of the State having proximity to the national capital further gives it an opportunity to upgrade its already existing well-organized milk marketing system. The State is also self-sufficient in fodder production and rich in human resource for providing training to the farmers as well as the field functionaries.
BASIC DATA OF LIVESTOCK AMONG SCs:
According to the livestock census 2007, about 22.27 lac families are rearing one or other type of livestock in the state out of which 8.86 lacs are schedule caste families who are generally resource poor. Occupation wise, out of a total 8.86 Scheduled Caste families, 44% exclusively depends on Animal Husbandry & Agriculture and 56% on other sectors including service sector. Out of total livestock population in the state, scheduled caste families possess 23% of the livestock though of low genetic merit. Scheduled Caste families contribute substantively in the Animal Husbandry sector and it is the major occupation of these families.
The trend of rearing of livestock species by SC's in Haryana is given the following table:-
The above table shows that out of the total livestock population in the state, Sheep, Goat and Pig upto 60-80% are reared by scheduled caste families whereas milch animals upto 16% only.
In the 11th Five Year Plan, (2007-2012) out of a total of 8.86 lakh SC families in Haryana, approximately 44% i.e. about 4 lakh families exclusively depend on agriculture & allied sectors. Assuming 50% out of them have availed one or other type of loan from the financing institutions and may be in process of repayment or defaulter or living life with sustainable income. Out of remaining 2 lakh families assuming 50% to be the most resource poor need to be assisted immediately
The target under SCSP pertaining to the department of Animal Husbandry & Dairying would be approximately 1 lac SC families which will be assisted for one or other type of Animal Husbandry activity in a period spread over 5 plan years. Accordingly, a target of assisting 1000 SC families every year for five years under the SCSP component was fixed in the beginning of the scheme. But keeping the financial constraints in view, the targets were drastically reduced and during the year 2008-09 a total of 3874 beneficiaries were given self employment opportunities under this scheme. For the year 2010-11 a target to set up 710 unit (500 two milch animals, 105 piggery and 105 sheep units) has been kept keeping an outlay of Rs.100.00 lac in view.
OBJECTIVES OF THE SCHEME
- To provide self employment to the unemployed men/women of scheduled castes families in Haryana
- To raise socio-economic standard of SC families of Haryana and to provide socio & economic security to family
- To increase the re-production of animal at lower cost creating more resources with SC families
- To provide balance diet for all sections of the society through quality milk production with modern scientific technique
- To gradually replace the poor quality animals with good quality animals
NORMS OF ASSISTANCE
Under the scheme the most resource poor scheduled caste families will be assisted by providing livestock related activity by providing 25% financial assistance from the Govt. and remaining 75% will be the contribution of the beneficiary as loan from the banks
NORMS OF ASSISTANCE
Under the scheme the most resource poor scheduled caste families will be assisted by providing livestock related activity by providing 25% financial assistance from the Govt. and remaining 75% will be the contribution of the beneficiary as loan from the banks.
For realizing the objectives of this scheme, a committee is constituted for identification/facilitation/arrangement of loan from financial institution, insurance and all other assistances/activates incidental or recurring in future which will be required to assist the SC families. The committee will consist of the following:
- Deputy Director, Animal Husbandry or his representative not below the rank of S.D.O.(AH), (Chairman)
- Local Veterinary Surgeon
- Representative of financing bank
- Village Sarpanch/Scheduled Caste Panch
Any family who has already availed one or the other type of loan and is either in the process of repayment or defaulter shall not be eligible. The order of preference for selection of most resource poor schedule caste family shall be as under, if the No. of applicants are more than could be assisted
- BPL families
- Families having no member in Govt./Semi Govt. job
- Landless family
- Land holding less than 2.5 acres
- Already rearing livestock but the unit as per scheme is not complete
- Families having no livestock but having aptitude and housing facilities to rear livestock
- Any other
The Vety. Surgeon of the area will be responsible for preliminary identification of the most resource poor scheduled caste families for assistance under the scheme. He will arrange for public announcement in the village, put notices in chaupals/Harijan Chaupals, contact personally the village Sarpanch, scheduled caste member of village Panchayat and the potential beneficiary before holding a meeting in open public view to collect application from the beneficiaries. The application will have to the recommended and verified by the village Sarpanch caste member of Panchayat. The final approval of the application shall be done by the SDO(AH)/or Chairman of the committee at the time of its (committee) visit to village. Any appeal in this regards could be made to the Deputy Director (AH) of the district if he himself is not the chairman or the Director General, Animal Husbandry & Dairying.
All proceedings of the identification of most resource poor SC beneficiaries by the Vety. Surgeon and then the committee shall be recorded in writing and conducted in transparent way.
The whole hearted effort of the Selection Committee shall be to help the poor scheduled caste families in getting the livestock of their choice for their economic and social upliftment.
Purchase of livestock:-
After approval of the application, the vety. surgeon shall ensure that the applicant has the required know-how (training), housing facilities etc. in place prior to effecting purchase of livestock i.e. establishing or completing unit under the scheme. The following purchase procedure will be followed while providing assistance:
The local Vety. Surgeon will issue Health Certificate in presence of Committee as required by the insurance company, get animals insured and will also tag the animals accordingly and maintain full records. The expenditure for identification (tagging) and insurance shall not be born by the beneficiary
The Scheduled Castes families will be asked to effect the purchase of the livestock opted by them such as Buffalo, Cow, Sheep and Pig etc themselves preferably within a period of one month.
In case the SC family is not in a position to make self-contribution towards 75 percent cost of livestock activity of their choice, the same will be arranged as loan wholly or partially depending upon the need of the beneficiary by the Selection Committee from the Nationalized, Cooperative or other banks/financial institutions
Mode of disbursement:
The mode of Disbursal of financial assistance (or subsidy in popular terms) equivalent to the 25% of the total cost, as per the norms fixed by the Animal Husbandry Department from time to time, will be done as defined in this para. In case of financing by the banks, the banks will sanction 75% or less as per need of the amount as loan & claim remaining 25% of the unit cost from the department of Animal Husbandry & Dairying as subsidy for the identified beneficiaries & thereafter payment of full amount will be made (As per the norms fixed by the Animal Husbandry Department) through Cheque/Demand draft to the seller of the animal(a).
In order to ensure timely repayment of loan amount by the SC families, they will be enrolled as members of "Milk Cooperative Societies' and repayment of loan will be linked with the contribution of milk by them in the society. It will be mandatory for SC families to supply milk to the societies.
1. Two Milch Animals Scheme
This scheme will be implemented through financial assistance from the banks. Subsidy @ 25% per unit to schedule caste will be provided. The remaining amount shall be arranged as laon from financial institutions or as per Animal Wealth Scheme. The financial detail of Piggery Scheme is as under:-
|Piggery Unit||Unit Cost(Amount in Rs.)|
|3 Sows+1 boar of Yorkshire breed||Cost of shed||10000|
|Cost of three sows & 1 boar @ Rs.5000/- each||20,000|
|Cost of equipment, utensils, feed etc.||10,000|
The animals will be insured and the entire cost of insurance premium will be borne by Govt. under another scheme of special Livestock Insurance (SCSP). A physical target of 107 units is kept for the year 2010-11 under this component.
Establishment of Sheep Units Scheme
The scheme will be implemented through financial assistance from banks. Subsidy @ 25% per unit to schedule caste, will be provided The remaining amount shall be arranged as loan from financial institutions or as per Animal Wealth Scheme. Details of the Sheep Unit is given below:-
|Sheep Unit||Unit Cost(Amount in Rs.)|
|20 eves+1 ram of Nali breed||Cost of 20 Ewes @ Rs.2500/-||50000|
|Cost of one Ram||4000|
The animals will be insured and the entire cost of insurance premium will be borne by Govt. under another scheme of Livestock Insurance (SCSP). A target of 103 units is kept for the year 2010-11. The animals will be insured and the entire cost of insurance premium will be born by Govt. under another scheme of special Livestock Insurance (SCSP). A physical target of 105 is kept for the year 2010-11 under this component.
In brief, the scheme will be an on going programme under SCSP during the 11th Five Year Plan. For the year 2010-11, a total amount of Rs.100.00 lac has been allocated for implementing this scheme as an operational cost including publicity in the current financial year